Thursday, February 11, 2010

Favorite Work of Art: Part 1

Starry Night by Vincent Van Gogh was the first piece of art I remember seeing. The swirling design captivated me then and still manages to do so today. I loved the colors when I was younger mainly because blue was my favorite color. But today, I love the colors because of the way they're incorporated. The different shades of blue swirl around each other, varying in stroke thickness. It's always been the sky that I've liked the most; I hardly give a second glance to the town that lies below it. I also love the way the moon and stars seem to erupt with an inner light, as if their own bodies aren't big enough to keep all of it in. The lines are completely mesmerizing. I can follow the path of the sky, the way it loops around itself and the stars, the way it barely touches the mountains and then loops inside itself, for hours. Out of all the paintings I've studied thus far, I still like this one the most. It's definitely an aesthetic value for me, but I'm excited to learn about the genius of Van Gogh and what makes this painting so famous.

No comments:

Post a Comment